Coupling is the mechanical part that is used to connect two shafts to make them rotate together and transmit movement and torque. In high-speed heavy-duty power transmission, the coupling also functions of cushioning, vibration reduction and improve the dynamic performance of the shaft. Coupling is made of left and right parts, respectively, respectively connected with the driving shaft and the driven shaft, which are used for power sources such as reducer and motor, respectively connected with the driving shaft and the driven shaft, which are used for power sources such as reducer and motor.
- To transfer power from one end to another end.(ex: motor transfer power to pump through coupling) Primary function;
- To provide for the connection of shafts of units that are manufactured separately such as a motor and generator and to provide for disconnection for repairs or alterations;
- To provide for misalignment of the shafts or to introduce mechanical flexibility;
- To reduce the transmission of shock loads from one shaft to another;
- To introduce protection against overloads;
- To alter the vibration characteristics of rotating units;
- To connect driving and the driven part;
- slips when an overload occurs.